What You Should Know About Movers
San Jose Movers
Moving scams happen on a regular basis. And even when they don't, uninformed consumers coast from the process of hiring a movers, assuming that everything will be fine.
Sadly, this 'coasting' approach all too often leads to inconvenience as well as disaster. Moving companies can be quite a great convenience, which enable it to take a lot of the hassle out of relocating your property and family. Bear in mind: whoever you choose to handle your move, you're entrusting with everything you own. That is not a decision to take lightly!
In that spirit, use this guide to help you avoid a few of the common pitfalls that buyers encounter when dealing with moving companies. These tips can save you a lot of cash and heartache.
First - Some History
Previous to 1980, moving company prices were regulated from the now defunct Interstate Commerce Commission, or ICC. The ICC governed the costs that moving companies were allowed to charge consumers for moving companies.
In 1980, Congress passed your family Goods Transportation Act. This act deregulated moving industry pricing, allowing movers to issue their very own estimates and develop their particular pricing structure. This brought new competition to the moving industry, sufficient reason for this competition came lower prices and an ever dwindling profit.
What Does This Mean For Me?
Moving companies are to make money. With thin returns and keen competition, movers will tend to do whatever it takes to squeeze all the money as they can from your upcoming move. Sometimes this could mean hidden fees or extra charges. Sometimes it may mean out right scams.
As a consumer, you would flourish to be as educated since you can about your moving company as well as the moving process generally. Here are a few tips to avoid scams, hidden fees, as well as other moving nightmares:
- Get a binding, in-home estimate. Typically, over-the-phone or over-the-internet estimates aren't considered binding. Your mover needs to inspect your property and household goods to accurately provide an estimate for you.
Movers San Jose
- Avoid companies which show no interest in providing an in-home estimate, that just accept cash, or that need large deposits previous to the move.
- Read reviews on the net. There are a number of consumer watch dog sites as well as user driven review websites that will offer you feedback in your moving company. Google Maps offers a review system, which is often a good place to start for information about your moving companies. In addition, ask your moving company to provide references and make certain to call them. Also, speak to your local Better Business Bureau and discover if any reports have been generated regarding your mover.
- Ask for a copy of the Rights and Responsibilities Whenever you Move. Federal regulations require that your moving company supplies you with a copy of this booklet through the planning stages associated with an interstate move.
- Avoid businesses that show up in rental trucks or that answer their phones with generic responses like 'Movers'.
- Avoid companies that list no local address on their site or who are struggling to produce any information regarding their state or federal licensing.
- Ask for any copy of your moving company's insurance certificate.
- Find out if the moving company charges minimum rates (e.g. a nominal amount billing for 4 hours of work, regardless of real-time expended), travel expenses, fuel charges, and other fees that will be built into your estimate.
- Find out if the moving company is a broker.
- A broker sets up moving jobs for one more company. If you choose to choose a broker, research the company they are brokering your move to.
- Be involved always. Read what you sign. Ask questions. Get everything in writing. The greater documented your move is, the higher able you are to shield yourself.
- At the end of day, there are several good moving companies on the market. We'd like to think that we are one of them! But you do will want to look after yourself. Utilizing the tips above will help you do just that!
Take advantage of our exclusive moving companies for your upcoming move. Receive your free no obligation moving quote today. Let our family move yours!
THE RIGHT WAY
There’s a lot of buzz about sustainable farming, and we couldn’t be happier. We’ve seen how much richer the soil is when we control weeds, pests and disease without toxic chemicals. We’re pretty sure it makes our harvest taste better, too.
FARMED WITH LOVE
When we started to farm, it was just the two of us. Now we’ve got kids of our own and 10 employees who’ve become our extended family. We’re all here because we absolutely love what we do.